Interview | Kristine Cayne | Author of Deadly Obsession and Deadly Addiction

I have read, enjoyed and reviewed both novels in Kristine Cayne's Deadly Vices series and I am delighted that she has agreed to an author interview for Indie Bookworm.

Why did you write Deadly Addiction?

I grew up in an area that was home to several Iroquois tribes. However, other than a field trip to one of the reserves in 7th grade, I knew very little about them. What I did know came mainly from the media and was obviously very biased.

The year 2000 marked the twentieth anniversary of the Oka Crisis. This was a time of great conflict between the Canadian government—both the military and the Quebec Provincial Police (SQ)—and the native populations around Montreal. The violent clash resulted in a long siege of two of the reserves as well as the death of an SQ corporal.

I began doing some research online about this crisis and tried to see it from both sides. The more I learned, the more I knew there was a story to be told--what if a member of one of these tribes fell in love with an SQ officer? What opposition would they face today? Modern day natives face many pressures from outside their tribes as well as from within. I also touch on these in my book.


What kind of reader would enjoy Deadly Addiction?

Deadly Addiction is first and foremost a romance. So romance readers should enjoy it. But it is also a story of intrigue and suspense. Mainstream fiction readers who enjoy a good romantic thriller and like to read about unusual characters in unique settings will enjoy Deadly Addiction.


How did you develop your characters?

The character of Rémi appears in Deadly Obsession, book one of the Deadly Vices series. He is the hero’s loyal and dependable friend. I wanted Rémi and Alyssa, the heroine, to have law enforcement in common, but widely differing approaches. Rémi is methodical, does things by the book. We see this even in Deadly Obsession. Alyssa, on the other hand, is the maverick cop. She’s impulsive and quick to judge. Neither approach is all right or all wrong, and this comes out in the story. They complement each other well.


Why did you decide to publish Deadly Addiction yourself?

I spent about six months shopping my first book, Deadly Obsession around, only to be told that movie heroes in books didn’t sell, that romantic suspense was dead or dying and that publishers were only buying the big names in that genre. At the same time, self-publishing was on the rise. After doing extensive research on it, I decided—why not? I felt my story was unique, well-written, and well edited. I hired a cover artist and a professional formatter and uploaded my books. From that point on, I stopped trying to get an agent or a publisher.


Are you working on any new writing at the moment?

Yes, I’m working on book three in the Deadly Vices series, Deadly Deception. This is Kaden’s story, and most of it will take place in Afghanistan. Yes, I do love research. LOL.

I’m also working on a very sexy new series featuring a team of rescue firefighters. A novelette that kicks off the series will be published in the Romance in the Rain anthology next month. The first book in the series, Under His Command, should be out by the end of the year.

Thankyou so much Kristine. I am sure I speak for all your fans when I say we are looking forward to reading Deadly Deception..... and Good Luck with the new series.

http://www.kristinecayne.blogspot.com

Deadly Obsession bookpage on amazon UK

Deadly Addiction bookpage on amazonUK