Review | The Not So Secret Emails of Coco Pinchard | Robert Bryndza

I write this blog to tell any other interested readers about some of the fantastic indie published ebooks I've tried myself and enjoyed reading. There are 624,407 fiction titles available in the Kindle Store and sometimes it feels like you're overwhelmed with choice. So if you're on the same wave length as someone else and can get a recommendation of a good book then that seems to me to be a good thing.

I got onto The Not So Secret Emails of Coco Pinchard when I was communicating with A.L. Cooper, author of Twisted Knickers about her recent interview for Indie Bookworm: she recommended the novel to me. Having already enjoyed reading Twisted Knickers ( see earlier post ), I figured I would probably enjoy her recommendation too.

And this proved to be the case. What a great light-hearted, fun, entertaining novel this is. Coco Pinchard is a youngish 40 something, newly separated from her husband and starting to get back into dating. The story follows the ups and downs of her family, professional and love lives and at times it is hilarious. The people Coco knows are a real mixed bunch. Her immediate family, with the possible exception of her son, are gruesome but her friends are great. The emerging love interest is a bit too handsome but he has some serious flaws as well. Good characterisation and a lively plot makes this highly readable comedic romance fiction.

What makes it a bit different, as far as my reading experience is concerned anyway, is that it's all written in e-mails. As far as I can re-call the only other novel I've read that incorporated a substantial email element was Fifty Shades of Grey (see earlier post) and I found them to be ponderous and I skim read most of them. In this novel the email format works very well. The emails are all from Coco on her new i-phone but they are skilfully managed to ensure that they don't become predictable or tedious. Through her emails we get the details of Coco's life and come to know her family and friends. Occasionally the emails are probably longer than might get sent in real life but you're so carried away by the story-line that it doesn't matter.

The blurb for the book draws a parallel with Bridget Jones' Diary and I don't think that in this case that's an exaggerated claim. A thoroughly enjoyable read and a great recommendation: thanks very much A.L.C.