Interview | GP Grewal author of Machine Wash Warm, Tumble Dry


GP Grewal was one of the first writers I met via free Kindle downloads when I read his novel Nihilist 5.0. I went on to read both his other novels Machine Wash Warm, Tumble Dry and Half-Breed. I found all three books to be well written, challenging and thought provoking. I was delighted when GP Grewal agreed to an interview for Indie Bookworm.

Why did you write Machine Wash Warm, Tumble Dry?

I wrote Machine Wash Warm, Tumble Dry for the same reason I wrote my other literary novels. It was something I needed to get off my chest. The loneliness, the apathy, the idiocy of our modern day, consumer-oriented society: I don’t know who decided we should be living like this, but it really sucks.

Other than that, I’ll admit I wrote it because I couldn’t find a publisher or agent for my fantasy novel and so I decided to have a go at writing about the “real world”, which is too bad because the real world is not something I like.


What kind of reader would enjoy Machine Wash Warm, Tumble Dry?

I’d say anyone under thirty who is open-minded and understands how silly most of the things we believe in are.


How did you develop your characters?

The main characters are composites of former friends, acquaintances, and co-workers. I’ve known all of them at one point or another, and so they were easy to write about. Leonard in particular I’ve known from some of the nerdier types I’ve hung out with, and having spent at least a couple of years around actors, I was pretty familiar with Mark Gold.


Why did you decide to publish Machine Wash Warm, Tumble Dry yourself?

Despite a couple of near hits, I wasn’t having any luck with literary agents and the dozens of boilerplate rejections were getting old. The few agents who did show genuine interest made me wait for weeks or months before deciding they didn’t like it enough or that it would be too hard to sell. Then I heard about people publishing their manuscripts as e-books on Amazon and decided to give it a go.


Are you working on any new writing at the moment?

After Machine Wash, Nihilist, and especially Half-Breed I’m pretty burnt out on writing literary novels and so I’ve decided to put that aside for now. I have a feeling my next book might be another fantasy. Then again, maybe not. I’ve started a couple of new stories but nothing I’m too crazy about. I guess I’m waiting to see where the wind takes me. If there’s one thing I can’t stand it’s a writer who feels compelled to keep churning out novels for either monetary reasons or just to show how hard he’s working. I find that very crass.

GP Grewal is the author of Nihilist 5.0, Machine Wash Warm, Tumble Dry and Half-Breed. Check out his Amazon author page for links to all his books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/G.P.-Grewal/e/B007OVCQA0/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0 

http://www.amazon.com/G.P.-Grewal/e/B007OVCQA0/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0

Links to my reviews of each of these books:

http://indie-bookworm.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/nihilist-50-by-gpgrewal.html

http://indie-bookworm.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/machine-wash-warm-tumble-dry-by-gp.html

http://indie-bookworm.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/review-half-breed-gp-grewal.html