An Interview with Author Julia Hughes

I enjoyed reading A Raucous Time, the first in the Celtic Cousins' Adventures, and asked author Julia Hughes if she would be willing to answer a few questions about the book and her writing. I was delighted when she agreed and am very pleased to post this interview with Julia Hughes today.

Why did you write A Raucous Time?

Because I love mystery and history: King John's treasure disappeared almost a thousand years ago – this is my explanation of what might have happened. 
Considering nothing is ever truly lost:
  • either the treasure has been found …
  • or it never existed …
  • or it was hidden … and Celtic Cousin Wren is willing to bet his life that this last theory is correct.  

What kind of reader would enjoy A Raucous Time?

As one reviewer said, Indiana Jones meets the Da Vinci Code, so hopefully, anyone who enjoys adventure and intrigue. "A Raucous Time" is the first of the Celtic Cousins' Adventures; ("A Ripple in Time" and "An Explosive Time" follows), and so is usually (river gods permitting) available to download for free from most good virtual book stores.

How did you develop your characters?

By climbing inside their minds – writing from the inside out – putting flesh on the bones, then dressing the flesh – it's no accident that Crombie's beloved leather jacket has huge pockets – he's not the kind of guy to use a briefcase – so hopefully readers realise that Detective Inspector Crombie and paperwork don't mix.

What has been the biggest influence on your career as a writer?

Professionally, the development of ebooks. It's turned the entire publishing industry on its head.

Personally, readers. When I'm writing, I'm there in the scene. I want readers to be there too. This is why books survive: why a collection of words wins hands down over full colour HD, 3D, blockbuster movies with stereo sound surround:
Hollywood's biggest budget cannot compete with a reader's imagination.

Are you working on any new writing at the moment?

Book #3 in The Griffin Riders' Chronicles is waiting for one last read through before sending to my editor. There's a new Country Lovers' Romance almost ready to join "The Bridle Path", and Detective Inspector Crombie is about to get his own series!

Between writing, I beta read for three very successful and talented indie authors, in my favourite genre: Crime/thrillers. I also co-admin the book related site, Words Unlimited, where readers can discover new titles, and book bloggers and reviewers often drop by with their recommendations too! 

My own site is at Julia Hughes.co.uk, where full details of all my titles can be found. It's been fabulous meeting you, and a delight to appear on your site, so please don't be a stranger – drop by anytime!

☺☺☺

Thankyou so much Julia for sharing your thoughts. It's been a pleasure to have you here on my blog and I shall certainly be visiting your website and Words Unlimited from now on.