Season of Mists and Mellow Fruitfulness

Regular readers of my bookblog (are there any?) will be accustomed to my swapping blog layouts from time to time. I alternate between the Blogger Dynamic View in tiles and a Simple layout in glorious technicolour. There seems to be some correlation between my changing styles and the changing seasons and as we're now well into Autumn I've gone back to a Simple view.

Pounds, Shillings and Pence

In addition to Indie books I read mainstream published books on my Kindle although I sometimes resent the price charged for ebook versions. As a Kindle publisher I know how low the costs of ebook publishing are. Some of the trad pubs prices are ludicrous. After watching the TV adaptation of Sadie Jones' The Outcast I really wanted to read it and paid three pounds something to download it. The novel was even better than the adaptation allowing a far deeper exploration of the tormented soul of poor Lewis. But after the success of the TV series and the consequent resurgence of interest in the book the price for the ebook has been raised to £6.17 which seems a bit steep to me.
I think it's annoying that VAT is charged at 20% on ebooks in the UK when print books are zero rated. Can't understand the logic in that. Amazon put "Unlike print books, digital books are subject to VAT" on every price list but I'm not sure the general reading public is aware of the hefty mark-up.
At the end of the ebook version of The Outcast there's a sample of another Sadie Jones novel, Fallout.
I read the sample, enjoyed it and downloaded the ebook into my WTBR folder. Fallout cost about three quid too but now, only a couple of months later, is priced at £5.69. Fallout was great and I recommend it highly. This is what is written for the book description: "London 1972. Luke is dazzled by the city. It seems a world away from the provincial town he has fled along with his own troubled past, and his new life is unrecognisable – one of friendships forged in pubs, candlelit power cuts, and smoky late-night parties. When Nina, a fragile and damaged actress, strays into his path, Luke is immediately drawn to her and the delicate balance of his new life is threatened. Unable to stay away from her, Luke is torn between loyalty, desire and his own painful past, until everything he values, even the promise of the future, is in danger…". Sounds great, doesn't it? However, much as I enjoyed reading Fallout I wouldn't have paid £5.69 for it.

Free Ebooks

Which brings me onto free classics. Did you know that you can choose from over 50,000 titles and download any for free in a variety of formats from the Project Gutenberg website?
https://www.gutenberg.org/
I've been reading The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers which I got as a free Gutenberg download. The book was written in the early years of the twentieth century and is credited with being the prototype spy novel. It's an exciting read although the florid style takes a bit of getting used to.

Kindle Unlimited

At the moment I'm reading The House of York, the new release from Terry Tyler. I'm about 20% in and really enjoying it. I think she's written another winner! I've borrowed The House of York on my Kindle Unlimited subscription. This is proving to be well worth the monthly £7.99 fee and I've read some really good titles from the KU list. You can find The House of York at http://www.amazon.co.uk/House-York-Terry-Tyler-ebook/dp/B016WNEEQO and if you pay for it, it's a very reasonable £1.99p.