Who’s looking at your bookshelves?

There is one big drawback to ebooks.
You don’t know what other people are reading.


When you visit another reader’s home and look at their bookshelves you find out more about the person. And you usually discover a new book or two for yourself as well.

I can’t envisage asking someone to let  me look in their Kindle to see what they’ve been reading. I don’t suppose there’s any reason not to; you just wouldn’t, would you?

It’s the same with borrowing books. Currently we’ve got three paperbacks on loan from family and friends. I know you can share books from one Kindle to another but I’ve never had reason to work out how to do it and so never have.

I don’t borrow books from the public library any more. My rural lifestyle was once enhanced by the three-weekly visit of the mobile library which parked right outside my house. The generous library staff put no limit on the number of books that could be borrowed. They changed the stock regularly and I always left with a dozen or more titles to keep me going until the next visit. Council cuts and re-organisation mean that the mobile library parks up elsewhere and it doesn’t visit on a day which suits me any more.

Fortunately, I acquired my first Kindle at about the same time as the mobile library exited from my life. I use that now to discover new authors, re-visit old friends and keep up with contemporary writing when it’s on a special offer. I tend not to buy ebooks which are priced the same as the paper version. That seems to me like a publisher’s rip-off.

I also use the on-line ordering service at my nearest branch library, especially for non-fiction titles. I like that: order at leisure and collect the next time I go to town for shopping or the dentist.

The only problem: “too many books, so little time”.


(Attributed to Frank Zappa on Goodreads Quotes.)

This post was re-blogged from http://spurwingebooks.wordpress.com/blog-2/